09 April, 2010

Why build a replica Gibson?

For me, the Gibson is the finest guitar ever made. I cannot imagine how these beautiful guitars could be improved upon, which is presumably why they have remained largely unchanged for decades. However, many people cannot afford a Gibson guitar. You might try some kind of copy or a low end look-a-like, but you are bound to be disappointed. They are just not the same.

I'm lucky. I've owned a few Gibsons and currently have a couple of Les Pauls in my guitar collection. But even if I had the money, I doubt i would have the good fortune to find a 1959 Les Paul. For this reason, I set about making my own. Partly for the challenge, partly to hopefully own something special at the end of it all.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that if you have patience and a little skill, you can create something in a few weeks that will give you pleasure for a lifetime. I intend to chart the whole build of a replica 1959 Gibson Les Paul in EXACT detail. I hope it inspires you to try it yourself.

Here is a stunning 1959 Les Paul that inspires me just looking at it.



I have a set of Luthier plans that I have owned for years to help me build this guitar. The plans were professionally created using a 1959 LP for all the measurements, including the wiring. There are Gibson plans available on Ebay for most modern style LP's as well as the SG. There may be others, I haven't checked.

If there are any aspects of the build that are not clear from the plans, it is sometimes best to check an actual guitar. As I say, I'm fortunate to have one handy. This is my 80's model Les Paul Custom in a nice tobacco Burst.



I'll never be a threat to the guys who make these at the factory and building these things only makes me want to own more of them. The people at Gibson are incredible. Thanks to them and Les Paul of course, music will never be the same. I can't even begin to try to improve on what they do, just copy it in the hope that they see it as a compliment.

Let's start building our own...

No comments:

Post a Comment